Sunday, February 28, 2010

What's been going on here?

Looks like I'm losing followers left and right these days... I can't say I blame them, since this blog has been a vitrual wasteland (get it, cause it's on the intranets?) for the past week. What's new 'round these parts? Well, Ryan had a kick-ass interview on Friday, and we're just waiting to see what happens. We should know in a week or two, and if he gets it, it would be HUGE for us. We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed here, folks. It's that kind of HUGE.

Yesterday it was warm (ie 47 degrees, not 20) out, so we spent some time with the windows open to clear out the bedroom/den and did a total spring cleaning on the upstairs den (it's really a second bedroom). That room has been used as more of a huge storge closet than anything else, and I'm just sick of living with crap. We took a carload of stuff to the Salvation Army, threw away a huge garbage bag, and shredded every single bill from 2005-2008. It was liberating.... and a little sad. I have no idea what ever possessed me to keep old credit card statements, paystubs, and every single gas/water bill since 2005, but I had them all. Ryan was manning the shredder, and every so often he'd gasp at the document he was holding. We've come a LONG way since 2005... the balances on our credit card statements were a shit show. I even came across the very first payments we made to CCCS... I kept those ones. I can't believe we're less than a year from being done with our credit card debt forever - looking at those papers from 2005 was just a reminder of how far we've come, and what we can do together. This is going to sound so sappy.... but that box we shredded really did have so many memories. There was a credit card statement with a $75 charge to Boston's, which is a fancy pizzeria that had opened about 2 months before we left Terre Haute. We ended up going there with some friends the night before we left Terre Haute to drive to Maryland.

There was the charge for $630 for new Jeep Wrangler doors, since when we got to Maryland, Ryan's Jeep wouldn't pass inspection without some new doors. And one from Kohl's for $200 which I distintly remember was for new work clothes when I got my first real job. It's amazing how much of our lives rovolved around our credit.

To be fair, I also found a paystub from when Ryan first started working here in Maryland. At that point, I didn't have a job and we were living off his salary and our credit cards. And then I found my first few paystubs from the job I had prior to the job I have now. I was working for $9 an hour. I have no idea how we survived, but we obviously did (due to our high credit limits, i suppose).

And after looking through everything and shredding it up, I realized that I had been holidng on to those records because they were our life. In black and white, they showed us where we've been, what we've done, and how far we've come from that point. We laughed about how stupid we were back then, and how we had no idea what was in store for us. We've shared a bank account now for 6 years, and have only been married for about a year and a half. We had such trust in each other, even though we had no idea what direction we were heading in, or how we were going to get there. And we still don't know what the future has in store for us.... but (as we staw yesterday), getting there is the fun part.

Who knew an afternoon of shredding paper would have me more in love with my husband?

4 comments:

Allison said...

Yes to celebrate the warm weather yesterday I got a frappucino from Starbucks :)

Sue said...

We've been married 35 years and I still have checkbook registers etc. from the early days. It is sort of fun to go back and remember once in a while.

I have had a few followers leave, and I always wonder why...but, we can't please everyone!

Anonymous said...

Someone deleted several links from mirrorcreator and easy-share ...

From now, we will use www.tinyurlalternative.com as our main [url=http://www.tinyurlalternative.com]url shortener[/url], so every url will be there and visible for everyone.

You can pick out from many great [url=http://kfc.ms]short url[/url] address like:

kfc.ms easysharelink.info jumpme.info megauploadlink.info megavideolink.info mygamelink.info myrapidsharelink.info mytorrentlink.info myurlshortener.com mywarezlink.info urlredirect.info urlshrinker.info weblinkshortener.com youtubelink.info and many others.

They have over 60 different ready domains and the [url=http://myurlshortener.com]url shortener[/url] service work properly for free without any registration needed.

So we think it is good idea and propose you to use [url=http://urlredirect.info]url redirect[/url] service too!

Thank you.

Molly said...

Awww, this is so sweet! I love that you totally made a mundane task awesome.

I haven't left, but I have most def been MIA. I'm back now though!