Monday, August 31, 2009

I don't even have a title that really explains how crazy I am.

Last night I was in my car driving (alone, thank God) and listening to my iPod. A random Taylor Swift song came on that I'd never heard. It had a mellow, yet catchy beat, and as I listened to the words, my eyes started tearing up.

When Ryan and I talk about children, we always have a theoretical daughter. I have no idea why, we just always say "she" and I daydream about little dresses and bows and our little girl hanging out with our dog and laying on the couch with her dad. Ryan always talks about a little girl in a big dress playing tea party with our dog (the dog is also wearing a dress in his mind). When we talk about this theoretical daughter of ours, she is always a baby or toddler. On occasion we talk about things we want to do when "the kids" are older, like drive cross-country and hit the major landmarks, and they are always "the kids" not "our singular daughter". But when we talk about having a baby, it is always a girl and our thoughts never really progress past the tea party.

But last night, driving home and listening to that Taylor Swift song, I all of a sudden had a crystal clear image of Ryan dancing with our daughter at her wedding. I couldn't see her face (though she had brown hair all pulled up) as her back was to me, but I could see his, and he was smiling so hard....

I listened to the song again and I realized good old Taylor Swift is singing about her mother. Of course, tears were just streaming down my face at that point, and I knew that we are so ready to be parents. Now if only our bank account would have that realization....

Here's the video to my new favorite song - "The Best Day", by Taylor Swift:



And hey, don't forget to enter my giveaway!

6 comments:

RNJen said...

How cute! =) I did shed a tear!
My Hubby and I have a theoretical daughter too!

Under this Umbrella said...

WOW! That was fantastic. I have a real daughter (and son) and I can tear up at the drop of a hat thinking about all of these little and big life moments.

What fabulous parents you will be. Your daughter and other children are already so blessed to have you as parents.

Molly said...

Awww, how sweet! I love that song.

Abena said...

That's so cute! Hubby and I have a theoretical daughter too. So much so, we already named her. But like you guys too, we need our bank account to get with the program, lol.

Visiting from SITS!

Mandy said...

What beautiful thoughts. I hope you get that little girl you are dreaming about someday. (I'm visiting from SITS)

Tanya said...

I am playing this song as a dedication to my mother at my wedding in Oct