Monday, November 9, 2009

First Anniversary: Year Old Spice Cake

Our wedding cake was amazing. I bet everyone says that about their wedding cake, and I can appreciate that. But seriously, our wedding cake rocked. It was spice cake with buttercream frosting, done by Enticing Icing by Katie... they have since gone out of business, which is a shame because her cakes are delicious. I can vaguely understand the going out of business though, as we paid for apple filling yet no one could find any apple in their slice. Though even without the apple filling, it was still the best wedding cake of all time.

Now, the cake size we chose for our wedding yeilded enough slices for all guests if we served the top layer. At the time, we figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal to just save one slice of wedding cake, serve the rest, and call it a day. For one, we lacked the freezer space. More importantly, our cake package included a fresh top layer on our first anniversary.

Seeing as our cake lady went out of business, we weren't able to fulfil the free fresh cake. Kill me. Because I was SO looking forward to that. Though how hard is it to have someone else bake a spice cake, right? Right? So I ordered an anniversary spice cake from someone else. But we'll get to that in a minute.

Now, let me set the stage for you. We're in our hotel room. We're freshly back from dinner, just opened gifts, one or both of us may have cried at the thoughtfulness of each other's gifts, and I say "Oh, we still have cake!"

Ryan: Do we have to eat the old cake?
Me: Yes.
Ryan: It's going to all freezer burned and moldy.
Me: I don't care. One bite.
Ryan: Why would we eat old cake when we have fresh cake?
Me: It's tradition. We're doing it.

Here's Ryan opening the wedding cake:

Here is our last glorious slice of wedding spice cake:
And here is Ryan's face as he put a fork full of wedding cake in his mouth:
Directly after making this face, his eyes brightened and in pure shock, he says "It's still awesome!"

And it was. It was still 100% awesome. This is possibly due to my wrapping technique (put cake into zip lock bag, squeeze out all air and ziplock the bag, wrap bag in foil, wrap foiled wrapped bag in foil AGAIN, put entire thing into tupperware container, throw in freezer, enjoy a year later) though I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that the cake was some sort of magical concoction of deliciousness. We each had a forkful, and Ryan said that it would be awesome if we wrapped the rest and at more next year. I'm thinking we could possibly get 5 years out of this, so I readily agreed. Plus, we had the whole fresh cake, right? So I wrapped up the wedding cake and threw it in the room fridge.

Here I am with our anniversary spice cake:

Directly after taking this picture, I got up to get a knife. I cut two slices of cake and turned to Ryan to feed him. The dog took that opportunity to run her tongue up the side of the cake.
The anniversary cake was so pretty - I loved the fondant leaves:

It did not, however, taste like our wedding cake. I didn't expect it to, seeing as it was baked by someone else, but it reeeeeally didn't taste like our delicious wedding cake. Two bites in, Ryan says, "Is it bad that I want the year old cake more than I want the fresh cake?" I couldn't blame him.

Nov. 7, 2010 - I can't wait for another bite of wedding cake.

Up next - Beatles themed anniversary gifts!

5 comments:

E @ Oh! Apostrophe said...

Love your anniversary cake! We had one too... I thought the year-old cake was okay, but my husband did not agree. Still can't get over how cool it is that your pup got to share in the fun :)

Sue said...

You really went all out for that 1st anniversay. I would never even thought of ordering a cake.

Justine said...

We're going to have to order a new cake, too. We decided it wouldn't be a good idea to transport a frozen cake on a three day car ride to Florida.. haha

Such a good idea to keep it for future anniversaries!!! I hope it stays just as good!!! :)

Molly said...

You had good luck girl! Ours was NASTY! :)

Dusty @AllThingsG+D said...

Sounds like you had a lovely anniversary--congratulations! And your cake (the original one) sounds delicious!