Saturday, October 10, 2009

13.1 miles (of torture) and coming back for more.

I've been doing the Baltimore Half Marathon (part of the Baltimore Running Festival) for 3 years now and for some reason, and this is the first year we had rain. Thankfully it cleared up around mile 6! My mom and I traded off walking/running and came in a few minutes under 3 hours (not too shabby for having zero training) and my sister was a superstar coming in at 2 hours and 15 minutes. I really should train for this, and I always mean to, but I'm happy enough just doing it for the experience (and the gummy bears at mile 9).

I am thinking, however, if I can sign up for multiple races and at least do some running in between them, I can put together some semblance of a running program. I obviously talked my sister into doing this with me, and our next race is the 3rd Annual Figgy Pudding 5k Fun Run in Fells Point.

I told Ryan we were doing this, and he asked if I thought he could do a 5k. I looked at him and said "I just did 13.1 miles with zero training.... I'm sure you can do 3.2 miles". And then a little light bulb went off over his adorable head and he said "We should train together." (Note: I have been trying to get him to do this with me for like 4 years...)

I will promptly be signing us both up before he can back out.

4 comments:

Sue said...

I doubt I'd make it 13 blocks...you go girl!

Sue

Gussy Sews said...

The last sentence of your post was awesome ;) Made me laugh in that "wives are great" sort of laugh.

Gussy

Jen | Our Life Accounts said...

I'm so excited that you posted this! I've been thinking about doing a 5K now for awhile and you inspired me to check out the figgy pudding run! The hubby and I have signed up to do it! Ironically the same day we decided to do it, someone pitched the idea of doing the river valley ranch 5K and another person pitched the idea of the turkey trot! I've never run an organized race in my life but I'm hoping for the best! Thanks for the inspiration!

Dusty @AllThingsG+D said...

Congratulations on your half marathon! I hope to one day finish one (I say "finish" because I was unable to finish the only half marathon I've ever tried due to injury--I was heartbroken.) That's so great that you went for it--good for you!