Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's barely even fall...

It is September 2. Children have literally just gone back to school. There are some children haven't even started school yet, and thus haven't even had the chance to break out their brand new number two pencils and Hannah Montana notebooks.

So why, when I walk into my local grocery store, do I see huge displays of Halloween candy? Why do I see Peeps shaped like ghosts and huge bags of Fun Size Snickers wrapped in little foils with witches on brooms?

Here's the thing - no one is buying Halloween candy now and stocking up for October 31. No one. People that buy Halloween candy on September 2 are buying it for one reason: to eat now. I can assure you they are not saving it for 2 full months to feed to children dressed up like the cast of Twilight.

And while we're talking about it, I'd also like to throw out there that I do not want to see any Christmas decorations until the day after Thanksgiving. I'm serious, Macys. I don't care if you have to pay your people overtime on Thanksgiving night to set up your holiday shenanigans, I do not want to see any fir trees decorated with tinsel and glass balls until November 27.

I will, however, take a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Dunkin Donuts. Apparently they didn't get the "It's almost Halloween" memo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN, sista!! Isn't this the truth--rushing through the holidays like that makes me look forward to next summer vacation!!!!!!!!

mom xoxox

Adam said...

I'll let you know when Walmart puts out the Valentine's Day candy -- often around or before Christmastime. What is unfortunate is the candy you are buying your loved one was sitting on the shelves for months.

Molly said...

Hilarious! I totally agree with you. We don't need that candy yet! It is just going straight to the american gut. :)

Anonymous said...

You're not kidding!!! I hate having to shop for winter clothes in the summer and summer clothes in the winter too!!! Don't forget, right after Christmas it's Valentine's Day stuff...ugh!!!

Your "southern" Aunt

Claire said...

The only thing I got from this post was your little remark about Twilight. Rude!