Friday, February 20, 2009

Phone Numbers

There is a comedian who does a whole routine about phone numbers and how there is a correct way to say them. It might be Kevin James, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't feel like Googling it now (as I'm still at work at um, 7:55pm on a Friday night). At any rate, there is a correct cadence for saying a phone number. It is ALWAYS 888 (pause) 777 (pause) 87 (short pause) 87.

Today I spoke with a gentleman from Hotels.com (on the phone) and when I asked him for the hotel phone number, he said:

5430 (pause) 688 (pause) 000

He must repeat dozens of phone numbers all day. Does he always say it like that? I'd make a statement about learning how to say phone numbers correctly, but I'm going to assume that his call center is not in the US and I'll leave it at that.

---------
Ed. Note: It is Kevin James with the bit about phone number rhythm. Here's the clip.

No comments: