I used this as the base and modified it a bit.
Corn Chowder Ingredients
12 slices of bacon (I used turkey), chopped
1/2 an onion, chopped
2 cups of diced potato (about 3 medium size white potatoes)
2 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of Half-and-Half (I used fat free)
2 cans creamed corn
1 can sweet corn
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder to taste
- Chop up the bacon and brown it in the bottom of the stock pot you're going to make the soup in (no need to dirty extra pots, plus the drippings add a nice flavor). Once it's pretty crispy, add the chopped onion and brown that as well.
- Add the diced potato and chicken broth. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add all of the corn and Half-and-Half. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until it's as thick as you want it. I like mine thick, so I let it simmer for the full 45. You can just heat it through if you like yours a bit thinner.
- Top with some shredded sharp chedder, or even some extra crispy bacon bits (if you saved any, I did not).
It should serve 8, but realistically, probably 4-6 hearty portions. I'm going to freeze my leftovers and see how that turns out. Oh man, I love fall weather and chowder and sweatshirts and blankets. Yey for cooler weather!!!!