Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cookies

Last night we were in the mood for dessert but didn't have anything because we might have eaten a half gallon of ice cream in two days. To be fair, it was Turkey Hill's Chocolate Pretzel Ice Cream and it was delicious. It's vanilla ice cream with a fudge swirl and bits of sourdough pretzels. Holy crap it is good.

Anyway, we had nothing sweet in the house, but I've been stocking up on baking stuff so I figured I probably had enough random stuff to make some cookies of some sort. I happened to have a bag of toffee bits (purchased by mistake when I was making these) and ended up finding this recipe, which I modified to use what I had on hand. They were kind of messy right out of the oven, but once they totally cooled down.... chocolate toffee awesomeness. Here's the recipe with my modifications:

Ingredients
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla extract
0.5 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
0.5 tsp baking soda
0.25 tsp salt
2 cups toffee bits

To Do
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Beat butter and sugar together.
  • Add egg and vanilla and blend!
  • In a different bowl, blend together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
  • Stir dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
  • Mix in toffee.
  • On an ungreased baking sheet (no really, it has to be ungreased otherwise the cookies stick... trust me, and do not use parchment paper to line the baking sheet), drop dough balls about 2 inches apart. These cookies spread.
  • Bake 10-12 minutes. The cookies will puff a bit and then crack along the tops.
  • Let cool for about a minute and then transfer to a baking sheet. Let them cool completely... they should be a bit chewy inside and crispy outside. Awesome with milk.

No comments: